Traffic accident abroad - What now?

It's Holiday time. But what should you do if you are involved in a traffic accident abroad? The most important points regarding the correct procedure.

What to do in the event of a traffic accident abroad

Summertime is holiday time. But what should you do if you are involved in a traffic accident abroad? We have listed the most important points regarding the correct procedure to follow:


Our tips for optimal travel preparation

Check the following before your trip:

  • Do you have a safety vest and a warning triangle to hand in your vehicle?
  • Do you have a European accident report form in the glove compartment?
  • Check your first aid kit for completeness and expiry date.
  • Do you have the most important emergency telephone numbers to hand?(
  • The 'green icard' insurance certificate is mandatory in some European countries.
  • (Further information:
  • Do all the lights on your vehicle work properly?
  • You should also check your vehicle's tyre pressure, coolant level, the spare wheel (if available) and check the oil level or have your vehicle checked at a reliable garage.
  • When packing the car: remember to stow heavy objects such as suitcases at the bottom or low down, because of the centre of gravity.
  • Find out about specific issues along your route, such as speed limits, alcohol limits and tolls.

What should you do if an accident does occur?

  1. Stay as calm as possible, stop and secure the accident site.
  2. Provide first aid to any injured parties and immediately notify the emergency services.
  3. Determine the facts as accurately as possible. To this end, fill in a European accident report form if one is available. If you don't have a European accident report form, you should note the names and addresses of the persons involved, as well as their licence numbers, insurance companies and policy numbers, and the details of any witnesses.
  4. It is important that the accident report is signed by all parties. However, you should not sign any document that you do not understand.
  5. As with any traffic accident, you should try and take photos (accident site and damage) and make a note of any eyewitnesses. You should also note the policy number of the other party (Section 4) and the insurance company (Section 10 on the 'green card').
  6. If people have been injured, you must inform the local police.
  7. It is also advisable to keep all receipts for expenses that arise in connection with the accident (taxis, telephone, medical expenses and prescription charges).
  8. Inform us as soon as possible.                                                                        Tel. 00800 24 800 800 or call +41 58 285 28 28 from abroad.

Was ist das europäische Unfallprotokoll?

  • The European accident report form provides valuable assistance.
  • It contains all the details required to process the insurance claim .
  • Although this is available in a number of different European languages, the format is the same in every country.
  • So, before every trip, make sure that you have a European accident report form in the glove compartment!
  • Note: In some European countries the information in the accident report form is the sole basis for assessing liability for an accident and cannot be appealed against.

Don't have a European accident report form?

Insurance offer
for Oettinger Davidoff

Safe on the road with -
in all of Europe!

Whether breakdown, accident, theft or act of God - will help you immediately throughout Europe

Is your auto ready for a trip?

Is your auto ready for summer holidays?

Get a quote
Report a claim
Contract services